Fri, 10 May 2013 15:00:00 GMT | By Reuters

Supreme Court rejects Sanjay Dutt's review petition

Supreme Court dismissed Sanjay Dutt's review petition on Friday, leaving the actor no choice but to return to prison on May 15 to serve the rest of his jail term in a case linked to bombings in the Indian financial capital in 1993.


Sanjay Dutt's review petition dismissed (© Movietalkies)

Dutt, popular for his role as a do-good gangster in the 'Munnabhai' films, was sentenced to six years in jail in 2007 for acquiring illegal weapons from men convicted for the attacks that killed 257 people, but has been out on bail ever since.

In March, the Supreme Court reduced the 53-year-old actor's sentence to five years and in April, the court gave the actor a four-week reprieve to finish pending Bollywood films.

"Sanjay Dutt's review petition was dismissed by the Supreme Court," Shivaji Jadhav, one of the lawyers present in court on Friday, told Reuters.

"Now his only remedy is to file a curative petition, which will also be dismissed by the top court, as the same judges will hear it in their chamber," Jadhav said.

Projects worth up to 2.5 billion rupees and the fate of several Bollywood movies hang in the balance with Dutt heading back to jail on May 15.

The actor has at least four films in the pipeline, including 'P.K', 'Policegiri', 'Unglee' and a remake of the 1973 hit 'Zanjeer'.

Dutt had already spent 18 months in prison before being released on bail, so he will have to serve another 3-1/2 years.

The actor was the most high profile of 100 people involved in the Mumbai bombings trial, which ended in 12 people receiving the death penalty and lifetime sentences for others.

In 2007, Dutt was cleared of conspiracy charges in the attacks, but found guilty of illegal possession of an AK-56 rifle and a pistol, which he claimed he required to protect himself and his family during a period of rioting in Mumbai.

MSN Mobile Entertainment

most watched right now

get connected