The Madras Cafe Controversy
What you should know:
1. According to the filmmaker, 'Madras Cafe' is the story of an Indian Intelligence agent, who journeys into a war torn coastal island to break a resolute rebel group, only to discover a deeper conspiracy by a faceless enemy united to seize a common nemesis - India.
2. Directed by Shoojit Sircar, the film stars John Abraham, Nargis Fakhri, Rashi Khanna, Sheetal Malhar, Leena Maria and Siddhartha Basu
3. 'Madras Cafe' is set against the Sri Lankan civil war and also depicts the 1991 assassination of former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi
4. 'Madras Cafe' came under the scanner after Tamil activists alleged that the film portrays the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) cadres as terrorists.
5. After attending a special preview of the Shoojit Sircar-directed 'Madras Cafe' on August 18, the objection against the film by the groups grew stronger.
Tamil filmmaker Seeman, head of Naam Tamizhar (We Tamils) group, said the film was "nauseatingly anti-Tamil".
6. Bharatiya Janata Party’s Tamil Nadu unit chief Pon Radhakrishnan said, "'Madras Cafe’ should not be released in any part of the country."
7. Vaiko's MDMK has also sought a ban on 'Madras Cafe', alleging that it portrays LTTE in a bad light.
8. DMK chief Karunanidhi has asked the government to probe charges against 'Madras Cafe'
9. "I would like to urge all of Chennai to support 'Madras Cafe' as a film and release it as it is a credible film made with a lot of heart and it gives audiences something novel to be entertained about," said actor-producer John Abraham in a statement.
10. The Madurai bench of the Madras High Court on August 21 observed that the Tamil version of Madras Cafe should not be released in Tamil Nadu till Central Board of Film Certification clears it.
11. BJP has opposed the release of 'Madras Cafe' in Mumbai